What should you do?

The first step is to check whether your building falls within the scope of the legislation? If it does, are there any exceptions?

Being fully transparent from the start will benefit landlords in the long run. If you need to invest to improve the efficiency of the property, you might be able to claim some of that cost back.

Landlords and tenants of commercial properties can check their building’s EPC rating on the EPC Register here.

Upgrade costs could qualify for Enhanced Capital Allowances which will mitigate the cash flow impact. Our specialist capital allowances team can advise in the procurement process to identify assets qualifying for the 100 per cent tax relief in the year of expenditure.

Our experts can also help:

  • review your property portfolio; 
  • understanding which properties are affected, identifying any risks and make sure you’re compliant; and
  • help identify and maximise the expenditure you can claim back. Hopefully softening the blow of these changes.

Get in touch with Howard Freedman for more information on how MEES will affect you.